Who says you are too old to ride a bike? Here at Injury Assistance Law Firm, our team wants to make sure that you have all the information you need when it comes to bicycling safety. We are a bicycle accident attorney who cares. We are located near Orlando.
The Risks For Bicycling Over 65
Bicycling in Florida can be great. There are many miles of flat, picturesque terrain and weather that is generally conducive year-round to good riding, no matter the time of the year. However, it is still very dangerous.
There was a 19 percent increase in pedal cyclist fatalities since 2010. This was reported by The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Out of these fatalities, Florida has the highest percentage of bicycle deaths by far. We had 6.80 bicycle deaths per million, and a total of 133 for the year in 2013. That was far in excess of any other state – even those with much higher populations.
Did you know that Secretary of State John Kerry, 71, was involved in a bicycling accident in France in which he broke his left thigh bone after striking a curb? He was flown back to the U.S. for a four-hour operation and is now undergoing what will likely be months of rehabilitation. Kerry is a fit and active senior. But with an artificial hip, complications were inevitable.
Tips For Bicycling Safety
For those older adults who are involved in a Florida bicycle accident, remember the following tips:
- Always report the crash to police. This is true even if you don’t think you are hurt. Many times, people don’t feel injured at the moment, but later are overwhelmed with pain. Florida law requires you to report the crash where damage to persons or property exceeds $500. Even if you aren’t sure whether the crash you were involved in meets that threshold, report the crash. It could be critical in preserving your rights later.
- Keep your own comments about the crash to yourself, but take note of what the other party says. Anything you say might be used against you later.
- Keep your bike, helmet, clothing, lighting, and other property if possible. Do not conduct repairs unless you have discussed it with a lawyer.
- Document your physical condition and injuries. Seek medical treatment if necessary.
- Don’t discuss the crash or your injuries on social media. This could come back to haunt you later.
- Consult with an experienced injury attorney.
Call Our Bicycle Accident Attorney Today!
Find out all you need to know about bicycling safety. The last thing you want is to be part of an accident and not know what to do. Let us help. We know all about personal injury claims. At The Injury Assistance Law Firm, our personal injury lawyer is here to ensure you are updated when it comes what you need to do in a car accident. We are the best bicycle accident attorney! Call our Orlando Personal Injury Lawyer today for more information. Our office is near Orlando.