Are you aware that Florida is ranked ones of the top states in the country for a fatal car accident and dangerous roadways? This is not a ranking that we should be happy to achieve. If anything, this should make drivers more wary and cautious on the roadways. It is quite dangerous out there and you need to be constantly alert. Injury Assistance Law Firm is a personal injury attorney Orlando. We are here to ensure your safety out on the roads and highways.
Florida Has Dangerous Roads
Did you know that in 2017 Florida recorded the most fatal accidents in over a decade? Out of those accidents, Orange County had a significant spike in deadly accidents. That trend, according to the Florida Highway Patrol, has extended into 2018, with the Orlando area beginning the first 11 days of the year with 11 fatal crashes. Whether you are a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorist who travels local roads and highways, you should know you likely face greater risks of being harmed in an accident than most people across the country face simply because you’re in Florida. Trust our personal injury attorney Orlando.
Avoid A Fatal Car Accident
Here is a list of things that we feel you should keep in the back of your mind when it comes to avoiding these ghastly accidents:
- Florida drivers are among worst in the nation
- According to the latest edition of States with the Worst Drivers, Florida was ranked as the 8th worst state when it comes to motorist safety in 2018 after claiming the top spot during the previous two years.
- Florida ranks high for fatal hit-and-run accidents
- Research from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety shows that Florida ranks among the nation’s top states with the most fatal hit-and-run accidents. In 2016, there were an overwhelming 206 hit-and-run accidents resulting in at least one fatality, not to mention numerous others which resulted in injuries.
- Pedestrian deaths on the rise
- Pedestrian safety has always been an issue in Florida, but recent statistics have shown that fatal pedestrian accidents have been steadily on the rise throughout the state. The problem is particularly a concern in Central Florida, where local counties that typically saw an average of 45 to 55 pedestrian deaths per year between 2007 to 2013 saw that number steadily increase to 60 in 2014 and 2015, 75 in 2016, and 87 in 2017. According to the Governor’s Highway Safety Association, Florida was the second-deadliest state for pedestrians, and that number is expected to rise.
- Bicycle accidents and fatalities
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a report from the National Center for Statistics and Analysis, bicyclists in Florida are more likely to be killed than cyclists in any other state. The report notes that Florida’s per-capita bicyclist fatality rate of 6.2 deaths per 100,000 people between 2007 and 2016 was nearly 60% higher than the 3.9 deaths recorded in Louisiana, the second-leading state for fatal cycling accidents.
- Texting while driving
- Safety advocates and lawmakers have called attention to the distracted driving epidemic and Florida’s need for stronger texting while driving laws. Although it is against the law to text while driving in the Sunshine State, Florida is just one of four states in the entire country to enforce texting laws as a secondary offense. Because texting laws are not primary offenses, law enforcement officers can’t pull motorists over simply for texting alone.
- Drunk driving
- Drunk driving remains a problem throughout the state and the country, despite numerous laws against driving under the influence (DUI) and years of advocacy and awareness efforts. In 2016, Florida saw over 5,200 crashes involving alcohol, which were responsible for thousands of injuries and deaths, according to NHTSA.
We want to ensure you are aware and prepared in order to avoid a fatal car accident. Here at Injury Assistance Law Firm, we are here for you. Our personal injury attorney is near Orlando and is dedicated to your safety. We are dedicated to ensuring you get all the information you need to take action. Trust our personal injury attorney Orlando to help you obtain the most favorable results possible. Our experts are driven to fight for you and get you protected. Visit or call us today for more information.