Whether you were injured in a slip or fall accident or as the result of a medical mistake, you owe it to yourself to seek the assistance of an Orlando personal injury attorney. Not only will they help you understand your legal rights, they generally shorten the amount of time you have to wait before you get the compensation you deserve.
The types of health issues an Orlando personal injury attorney helps you with includes:
- Permanent disabilities
- Medical mal-practice issues
- Slip and accidents
- Injuries that happened at the work place
- Injuries sustained in a vehicular accident
- Toxic exposure
- Wrongful death
Orlando personal injury attorneys exist to make sure injured parties get the financial compensation needed to help cover medical expenses and other financial issues created as a direct result of the injury. They also hope that by exposing the circumstances surrounding the injury, the defendants will initiate changes designed to make sure the problem never happens again.
Personal injury lawyers work hard to make sure their clients:
- Receive financial compensation to cover the medical costs connected to the injury
- If the client was unable to work as a result of the injury, the lawyer helps them recoup the lost wages
- Seeks compensation for emotional distress
- That they’re compensated for the legal fees connected to the injury
When a client first meets with an attorney, the attorney listens to their story and evaluates the merits of the case and whether or not it’s one they should handle. It’s not unusual for a lawyer who feels a client has a good case but not one suited to the lawyer’s talents to recommend the name of a different attorney, often one that’s in the same firm. This recommendation can go a long way towards the second lawyer agreeing to take the case.
As soon as an Orlando personal injury attorney accepts a case, they immediately go to work on the client’s behalf. The work includes:
- Investigating the incident
- Collecting medical and police reports
- Meeting with experts and creating legal strategies and theories
- Researching similar cases
- Drafting pleas and motions
- Arranging meetings with the defendants
- Deposing witness
- Counseling clients
In most cases, the plaintiff and the defendant’s insurance company agree on a settlement during the negotiation phase of the case, but if that doesn’t happen, the attorney prepares for trial and argues the case on the plaintiff’s behalf. Most personal injury lawyers in Orlando don’t charge their clients an hourly rate for handling the case, instead, the lawyer is paid a percentage of the settlement.
As a rule, the best time to contact an Orlando personal injury attorney is as soon as your healed enough to do business and discuss the case. The lawyer should be the very first person you speak to about the incident. They’ll advise you about how much of the current situation you should share with your friends and family. The sooner you contact a good personal injury attorney in Orlando, the less likely you are to make a mistake that could cost you your settlement.